One of the biggest challenges businesses face is engaging their marketplace and standing out to be noticed. This is especially so when products are commoditized and it becomes extremely difficult for businesses to differentiate themselves from other vendors offering the same or similar products.
We wanted a framework to address this challenge, that will create the unique value for each business from a position of power. We wanted it to meet the following objectives for long-term engagement:
- Provide with businesses with a unique position to play from
- Provide a customer life cycle framework
- Provide insights about customer's needs and wants
- Provide a basis for long-tail continuity
- Provide a platform for building and growing a tribe or community
- Provide a language and a structure to articulate this process
What was also considered was the ease of use and execution that we wanted included in the framework:
- Ease of implementation with fast roll-out
- Consistent content framework
- Structured processes for execution with a minimal learning curve
- Consolidated strategy for engagement
So the EPICS Adventure Framework was born. It adopts a gamification approach that emcompasses the following five pillars:
1. Engagement and Empowerment
All endeavours should be engaging and empowering - we want to explore opportunities and create possibilities from a space that is in alignment with each stakeholder.
2. Purpose and Fulfillment
Endeavours should be meaningful - they should be purpose-driven and fulfilling.
3. Individual Integrity
Endeavours should be owned and driven by each stakeholder a position of responsibility, with Integrity as the essence for success.
4. Compassion, Community, Contribution
Endeavours should be about creating community from contribution and compassion
5. Strengths Quotient® Centered
Endeavours should recognise and acknowledge the uniqueness of each individual and the value that they contribute that creates collective synergy.
More information on the Strengths Quotient®
The EPICS Adventure Framework
The 6-Step Adventure Narrative
True engagement and connection is build on relatability. To build a powerful long-term community, we will start with the founder to evaluate what is possible for the tribe that he wants to build.
We adopted the metaphor of an adventure, which is about a journey that a principal character (we will call him a "Hero") will take to get to a "reward". On this journey, he will encounter obstacles and challenges which he will need to overcome in order to get to his destination. This narrative was adapted from Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" based in a world of mythology and Jungian psychology, which has become the source and reference for some of the greatest movies ever made - including the Star Wars saga.
This gives us a very powerful and rich framework to explore a very extensive range of possibilities, whether it is to understand your tribe to how you can engage them in a very intimate manner.
We will use language that is derived from this framework throughout our materials to describe the different processes and methodologies that we will propose as part of the engagement to build your tribes.
Whether you are the founder of your business who wants to build a tribe, or a marketer who is engaged to create a tribe-building initiative, we will use the frame of reference where the reader is the founder of the business and use references and languaging from that perspective.
Here are the six steps to build the entire narrative for your tribe-building "adventure":
1. What are your dreams and goals?
The EPICS Life Canvas is the tool that provides a structure to articulate dreams and goals.
2. What challenges and obstacles did you encounter getting to your goals? What did you overcome and solve?
3. How did he overcome the challenges and obstacles?
The EPICS Adventure Canvas provides the structure for the narratives for steps 2 and 3.
4. Who can and does he want to help with his experience?
The Tribe Canvas provides a structure for his "ideal tribe" to be described.
5. What are the dreams and goals of the tribe that he wants to build?
The EPICS Life Canvas is used again here to articulate the tribe's dreams and goals.
6. Which dreams and goals can he help them achieve?
The Value Canvas provides the structure to map out the "promise" that is made for the product/service that is provided.
The EPICS Adventure Canvas is utilised here again to describe the Hero's (your tribe's avatar) journey
The 6-Step Adventure Narrative provide the overarching reference and structure for engagement strategy to be developed in the next stage.
Building and Engaging the Tribe
Tribe Building and Engagement occurs on "Hubs" or "Microsites". Hubs provide unique engagement points that are provided by the following engagement elements that are core elements within tribefii:
- Email Campaigns
- Auto-Response Emails
- Academy (coming soon)
- Membership (coming soon)
You can also extend and expand the game by connecting with the following apps and portals:
- Chameleon - user-onboarding
- Click Funnels - sales funnel platform
- Facebook - social media platform
- Google - search engine and advertising platform
- Sales Force - customer relationship management platform
- Shopify - online commerce platform
- Zendesk - customer support platform
The EPICS Framework is a live-framework. None of the elements are cast in stone, what they do is provide you with a reference point from which to build your engagement sequences and campaigns. It is possible that these references will help you get clear on and develop strategies for the growth of your business.
We look forward to helping you build your tribes, create continuity and expand your business and growing with you through the years.